Top 10 Water-saving Tips
Updated: Dec 22, 2021
In 2018, Cape Town nearly reached “Day Zero" – the day when the city could have completely run out of water. Now, in 2021, the city of Gqeberha is facing its own possible Day Zero crisis. While there are infrastructural improvements that can be made to save water, we must change our consumption habits for the long-term sustainability of our water resources.
Here are our top 10 tips:
1. Restrict water pressure to your property by turning your stopcock lower.
2. Find and fix any water leaks.
3. Only wash what is absolutely necessary.
4. Only flush the toilet when necessary. Use Flush-Free Toilet Spray after urinating and then, when required, flush with greywater.
5. Do not allow tap water to run – use a suitable container for sponge baths, brushing your teeth or shaving.
6. Use waterless Virus Gobbler™ Hand Sanitizer as an alternative to washing hands using soap and water.
7. Use minimal water for food preparation. Sterilise fruit and vegetables with food-grade Virus Gobbler™ Surface Disinfectant instead of rinsing with water.
8. Wait until you have a full load of clothes or dishes before using your machine and use the eco-cycle if there is one. If you use eco-friendly detergents, the greywater can be rerouted directly from the outlet pipe into the garden.
9. Collect greywater from basins, baths and showers for re-use. Use within 24 hours or treat with Greywater Gobbler™ Greywater Treatment.
· Untreated greywater can be used to flush toilets.
· If you use eco-friendly cleaning chemicals or have treated your greywater, it is safe to use for cleaning floors, motor vehicles, outdoor surfaces and in the garden.
10. Harvest rainwater. If rainwater is being kept in tanks for extended periods of time, treat with Greywater Gobbler™ Greywater Treatment to eliminate organic waste and odour.
· Rainwater is not potable.
· Rainwater can be used to top up ponds, water features and pools or for outdoor cleaning and gardening.
The people of Cape Town have taught us how to use water sparingly – we simply need to follow their example.